Follow me on Twitter! <---- Link!

Don't be afraid to follow me.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

After Earth

It's my birthday (today the 4th) and I'll drink Sake if I want to. So here's my review of...


After their ship has to make an emergency landing after going through a asteroid storm in space, forces them to land or crash on planet, Earth. Since 1,000 years have passed, Earth is now considered an unlivable planet, with  animals which have evolved to hunt and kill humans. Cypher (Will Smith) has both his legs broken, stranded on the ship, his son Kitai (Jaden Smith) has to find the back end of the ship, which landed many miles away. Earth is no longer filled with Oxygen, forcing Kitai to use special inhalers so he can breath. Kitai must now go to the other end of the ship alone, with his father watching his every move, so he can have an early warning system. Kitai must battle through Earth with giant sized Baboons, giant tigers, also trying to avoid the now different temperature where, certain parts can get freezing cold, he must battle all that, climb a volcano, to hopefully find a help beacon to send out a signal so they can get help.

I went into this film, with not knowing anything about it other than what I saw in the trailers. It could of been the Sake, but this film really wasn't all that horrible, nor was it the best science fiction film.

Acting was as good as it could of been, with a cast of just two, with the rest of the actors literally only in the film for just ten minutes. I did however like the story, had a nice sci-fi story set 1,000 years into the future, where earth is now a dead zone.

The CGI was mild to OK. It didn't have the best looking creatures, but you could make them out, and guess what they were, since they didn't say what each creature/alien was, just had to guess.

Story was simple, just go to point A to point B and get help, with creatures trying to kill the kid, nothing real complex or outstanding, but nothing to turn away. Since I did no research about the film, I didn't know till the very end, that M Night Shyamalan did the film, and thought since his horror films kinda suck, this sci-fi was honestly his best film since I saw, Signs ( at 13, dragged into the theatre to see it), but "Devil" wasn't so bad either. It did seem much better than all his other films, so maybe with more work, a lot more work, sci-fi films might be his forte.

So, it wasn't the best science fiction film out there, but it wasn't the worst.

I give, After Earth, 6/10

No comments: